Monday, January 19, 2009

Don't Miss the Bus

The Canadian Atheist Bus Campaign has kicked off and, if donations are any indication, it is going to be a success.

I probably would have argued that Canada didn't need a campaign like this (after all, we are secular and religion isn't a big part of our society, right?) until I started talking to people about religion and, even more so, until I started this blog.

Religion is a problem in Canada. It is a problem everywhere.

As "laid back" and complacent Canadians, we are letting our economy, our education and our future slide. I think we'd benefit from the conflict (and conversation) generated by a stand-off between "pro-science" and "pro-religion" groups. It, in many ways, offers benefits not achieved by the "live and let live" attitude. It seems that the non-believers are the only ones who truly feel a "live and let live" approach is taking. The religious hope we'll live that way so they can move the yardstick a little bit further each time.

Let's bring the discussion back to the forefront. Believers should be as equally impressed with the idea - if they truly believe their faith is worth having and their god is worth worshipping.

I encourage you to take a trip to http://www.atheistbus.ca and learn more about the movement and, if you feel so inclined, to contribute.

In case you are so inclined to take the approach of "not my god", I encourage you to read my earlier blog - Not Your God. I'll also deal with the "you wouldn't dare say that to a Muslim or about Islam". Yes, I firmly state that there is almost certainly no Allah. "Allah" can be replaced with any god of your choice.

The Friendly Atheist has a more complete list of gods we don't believe in. Oddly, the list of gods you don't believe in is only one shorter!

No comments: