Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It doesn't work but I can tell you how it does!

I have to confess that I don't know much about how homeopathy, acupuncture or "healing touch" works - I AM ignorant to "the facts" as commenters and emails suggest.

Let me be clear about my derision towards such "alternative" medicine modalities and why I think we should forcefully and continuously remind others that much of it is completely bogus.

You need not know how something works for it to work. For example, aspirin works regardless of whether or not you understand the mechanism.

Just as importantly (if not more importantly when it comes to absurd beliefs), it doesn't matter how something is supposed to work if it doesn't work.  So, until there is scientifically valid evidence that something works, making crap up about how it is supposed to work isn't going to win me over.

To re-cap previous posts and to summarize many future ones:

Chiropractic does not treat ear infections, asthma or bed wetting.  It is almost generally useless.
Homeopathy doesn't cure anything.
Acupuncture is no better than sham acupuncture (all of it is "sham", I guess)
Healing Touch doesn't cure anything nor does it involve touch (oddly!)
Reiki is bullshit
Reflexology does nothing more than a foot massage does
Astrology is made up crap
Psychic abilities have never been shown to exist
It's not a "secret", it's a "lie"

In other words, if it doesn't work, your silly reasons for believing how it works are that much less intelligent.

No comments: