Thursday, July 30, 2009

If you read more than one book in your life...

You might want to consider one that I just came across.

The Atheist Camel Chronicles - though I'm going to get mine locally (www.sarniabookkeeper.com) if you buy from his site directly, he'll autograph it and send it to you (you need a US address). The book is featured on www.richarddawkins.net, where I found a wonderful (funny!) site that he speaks about. If you have a pet and you read the same book (hint: bible) over and over, you need to visit this site.

For those who care (if you doubled the number of people who care, it'd still be the same number), I'm not a sci-fi fan - I really can't get into those types of movies or books. I don't care for horror movies either (and no, they're not scary, just not entertaining for me). I typically stick to science, skepticism and other non-fiction books with books on/of comedy always being welcome in my library.

I'm reading 3 of the books by Steven Pinker (The Language Instinct (done), The Stuff of Thought (done) and The Blank Slate (just started)). There are few people who have the ability to explain things clearly and to get a point across like Steven Pinker. I'm told that "The Blank Slate" is the best of his books but he has a number of others that have received great reviews. Stop by www.sarniabookkeeper.com in Sarnia for all your book needs.

Once I'm done Steven's book, I'll start on the Atheist Camel Chronicles and I'll let you know what I think.

For you believers, "You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones that need help?"-- Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith

3 comments:

Dromedary Hump said...

Hi skeptic,
I doubt you'll find The Atheist Camel Chronicles in your local bookshop. Best to order via amazon.com

Thanks for your kind words, and congrats on a very nice blog.

Yours in reason,
Dromedary Hump

sarniaskeptic said...

Dromedary,
Thanks for the post - I'm anxious to get my copy. It turns out that a few friends have your book already and have enjoyed it.

sarniaskeptic said...

I got my Atheist Camel Chronicles and I have to admit... well... that I expected something different.

I expected a dry and painful read that made some valid arguments but, boy, was I surprised. I LOVE this book! Some of the writings are along what I've done and others offer additional insight.

I think it is fair to say that neither myself or Dromedary Hump are kind to absurd notions.

Great work Dromedary!