Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thank God For Jerry Coyne

If you haven't read Jerry's book, Why Evolution is True, you can add one to your "must read" list. Until then, you should check out Jerry's blog (of the same title).

Jerry's recent article "A spoonful of Jesus helps Darwin go down" tackles the accommodationist approach when it comes to defending science/evolution. From the time that I started looking into the evolution/creationism debate, I firmly took the "if there is a conflict between religion and science, bye bye religion" approach.

I have had to defend my position as people will often claim that we're not going to win over converts (or deconverts, really) by saying "you've been lied too, the evidence shows your book is wrong" (in not so abrupt terms).

Jerry Coyne, Richard Dawkins, A.C. Grayling, Larry Moran, PZ Myers and a number of others are (and have been) speaking out against the accommodationist movement and I think it is the right direction to go. I encourage you to read Jerry's blog posting - he is polite but to the point - on this VERY important topic.

No comments: